Mitzlaff, von, Berndt
- Date of birth:
- August 5th, 1914 (Schkopau-Merseburg/Saxony, Germany)
- Date of death:
- March 20th, 2003 (Koblenz/Rhineland-Palatinate)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Berndt von Mitzlaff reached the rank of Oberstleutnant during the Second World War. After the war he served with the Bundeswehr from 1st November 1955 until 30th September 1972 and there reached the rank of Oberst. He also was the Military-attaché in Oslo to the Western-German embassy. For his work there he received the Commanderscross to the St. Olavs order.
January 1st, 1943: Major (40).
September 1st, 1939: Btl.Adj. Schütz.Rgt. 8;
May 7th, 1940: Kp.Fhr. Pz.Gren.Rgt. 8;
June 30th, 1941: Btl.Adj. Pz.Gren.Rgt. 8;
August 19th, 1941: Kp.Fhr. Pz.Gren.Ers.Btl. 8;
April 21st, 1942: Kdr. II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 8;
February 20th, 1943: Kdr. Pz.A.A. 8.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur, Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 8, 8. Panzer-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- December 20th, 1943
The following wartime excerpt describes why Mitzlaff was awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“Major Berndt von Mitzlaff… launched an independently conducted surprise attack against a strong enemy column during the retreat battles west of Kiev. This column was largely destroyed, and he thereby prevented the Bolsheviks from seizing control of an important river crossing.”
- Photo 1: Willi Schumacher Collection
- Photo: Willi Schumacher Collection
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- Beurteilung zum 1-4-1944
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945
- Haupt, W., Die 8. Panzer-Division im Zweiten Weltkrieg, Podzun-Pallas, Friedberg, Germany, 1987