The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- March 23rd, 1906 (Lage/Lippe, Germany)
- Date of death:
- February 28th, 2000 (Lage/North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
15th February 1945: Oberst.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur Festung-Grenadier- Regiment "Kreta"
- Awarded on:
- May 21st, 1945
After the hostilities had stopped, the Kommandant of Crete, Generalmajor Benthak, radiotelegraphed Dönitz, on 20th May 1945, in which he glorified the resistance of the German forces on the island and asked to be permitted to award five Knight’s Crosses. In a radio message on 21st May, Dönitz was supposed to have agreed in this.
Barge was one of the five who received the award. The award date was later changed by the Ordensgemeinschaft der Ritterkreuzträger to 4th May 1945.
Recent research has revealed that the awarding was in fact not justified. The awarding was done after Dönitz had stopped the awarding of all decorations after 8th May 1945.
- - Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945
- Die Ritterkreuztraeger der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS