The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
As, van, Pieter
- Date of birth:
- January 25th, 1899 (Rotterdam, the Netherlands)
- Date of death:
- December 29th, 1942 (Leusderheide, Amersfoort, the Netherlands)
- Buried on:
- Dutch War Graves General Cemetery Crooswijk
- Dutch (1815-present, Kingdom)
Working with the Dutch Railroad Company, Van As started collecting information and weapons, right after the Dutch capitulation on May 15, 1940.
He was one of the founders of a resistance group in the fall of 1940, which was incorporated later on in the resistance group "de Leeuwengarde" (the Lionguard).
He was arrested on April 9th 1942 and imprisoned in the "Polizeiliches Durchgangslager Amersfoort"(Police Transfercamp Amersfoort).
During a trial against the resistance group "de Leeuwengarde", from November 16th to November 29th 1942 in Utrecht, Van As was sentenced to death along with twelve other members.
They were executed on the Leusderheide on December 29th 1942.
His body was burried on the site, but he was reburried on December 1st 1945 on Gemeentelijke Algemene Begraafplaats Crooswijk, Rotterdam, row CC, number 3536.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Verzetstrijder (Resistance Fighter)
- Verzetsgroep de Leeuwengarde
For valour, initiative, perseverance, willingness to sacrifice and loyalty, displayed under difficult circumstances against the usurper of the Dutch independence and for the conservation of spiritual freedom, with him honouring one of the characteristics of the resistance which by its various activities from May 15th 1940 to May 5th, 1945 inflicted increasing damage to the enemy and has contributed in an unforgettable manner to the liberation of our homeland.
Resistance Cross awarded by Royal Order No. 17 on May 7th 1946.
The award was presented by Her Majesty Queen Wilhelmina on May 9th 1946 at her Palace at the Dam Square in Amsterdam.
- - Heuvel C.C. van den, Gedenkboek Verzetsherdenkingskruis, Samsom Uitgeverij, 1985
- Schulten dr. C.M., "Zeg mij aan wie ik toebehoor", Het verzetskruis 1940-1945, Rijksinstituut voor Oorlogsdocumentatie, Amsterdam, 1993