- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Führer II. / Panzergrenadier-Regiment 108 / 14.Panzer-Division / Generalkommando z.b.V. Mieth / 6.Armee / Heeresgruppe Süd
- Awarded on:
- May 15th, 1943
Awarded the Knight's Cross for his achievements during the critical winter of 1942-43 on the southern sector of the eastern front. He led a scratch regimental battlegroup with soldiers from various units in the following actions...
1) Fighting at the Chir river in the densely forested area east of Kustowskoj.
2) Serving as the ready reserve of Korpsgruppe Mieth, where it was especially distinguished itself in a counterattack east of Kar Beljanski on the Bjelaja river.
3) Ejecting a group of Soviets that had infiltrated German positions at the end of January 1943, thus preventing an early abandonment of the Manytsch position.