The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- December 25th, 1920 (Munich/Bavaria, Germany)
- Date of death:
- July 4th, 1943 (Lake Lentini/Catania/Sicily, Italy)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Herbert Brönnle was transferred on 1st September 1940 to 2. / Jagdgeschwader 54, where he was promoted to Unteroffizier. He had to made a forced landing behind enemy lines on 17th August. He had to walk 20km to reach his own forces again. He was severely wounded on 14th May 1942 and was hospitalised until december. In the period he was promoted to Leutnant (19th May 1943), he was transferred to 2. / Jagdgeschwader 53, returning in operational service again. On 4th July 1943 he was shot down by Spitfires during air action over Catania airfield in eastern Sicily, crashing north of Lago di Lentini.
He was credited with 59 aerial victories in 387 combat sorties.
23rd June 1941: Unteroffizier;
19th May 1943: Leutnant;
22nd June 1943: Oberleutnant.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Kurowski F., Oberleutnant Otto Kittel, Der erfolgreichste Jagdflieger des Jagdgeschwaders 54, Flechsig Verlag, Würzburg, 2007
- Aces of the Luftwaffe
- Axis Biographical Research