- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Major (Squadron Leader)
- Kommandeur II. / Kampfgeschwader 53 "Legion Condor"
- Awarded on:
- February 11th, 1945
Awarded for flying a total of 467 combat missions as well as his leadership of the II./KG 53 from the middle of 1943 during the following operations...
1. Missions in support of the German evacuation of the Kuban bridgehead as well as resupply flights to the forces trapped at Cherkassy.
2. Participation in the famous German bomber attack on the Poltava airfield on the night of 21/22.06.1944.
3. Night missions in the west both in bombing allied troop concentrations and resupplying German forces.
4. V-1 delivery missions from October 1944 to January 1945, where he and his pilots would fly over the north sea to launch V-1 flying bombs from their aircraft against England.