Baer, von, Bernd
- Date of birth:
- March 20th, 1911 (Berlin/Prussia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- November 27th, 1981 (Rösrath/North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
August 1st, 1943: Oberstleutnant (RDA: -78-);
April 20th, 1945: Oberst.
April 1st, 1930: Infanterie-Regiment 3;
October 15th, 1935: 14. Kompanie, Infanterie-Regiment 43;
November 10th, 1938: Adjutant, Infanterie-Regiment 43;
October 14th, 1940: 3. Generalstabslehrgang, Berlin;
January 6th, 1941: Operations-Abteilung, Generalstab des Heeres, OKH;
January 30th, 1942: Generalstab;
June 12th, 1942: Ib, 16. Panzer-Division;
August 1st, 1942: Generalstab;
February 1st, 1943: stellvertretender Ic, Heeresgruppe Don;
March 15th, 1943: Ia, 16. Panzer-Division;
May 10th, 1944: Führerreserve OKH;
June 1st, 1944: Ia, Division Hermann Göring;
October 10th, 1944: Ia, Fallschirm-Panzerkorps Hermann Göring.
After the war he became a prisoner of war with the Soviet Union. After his release in 1956 he went into service with the Bundeswehr. He retired in 1968 with the rank of Generalmajor.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberstleutnant im Generalstab (Lieutenant-colonel to the General Staff)
- Ia, 16. Panzer-Division, 4. Panzerarmee, Heeresgruppe Mitte, Heer
- Awarded on:
- January 13th, 1944
The following wartime excerpt describes why Baer was awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“The 16. Panzer-Division launched a thrust towards Ossopna (20.-28.12.1943) while serving in the area south of Bobruisk. In this time Kampfgruppe von Baer (II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 64 and the 2./Pi.Btl. 16) was sent towards Tschirkowitschi via Prudok. During the fighting which followed the II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 64 managed to overrun a set of deeply echeloned hostile positions despite fearsome enemy resistance, and after this it took Moltscha.”
Submitted on January 4th 1944.
Preliminary Document dated January 17th 1944.
Awarded for being significantly involved with the successes of his Korps during the fighting in early 1945. On the 28.01.1945 the unit reported the destruction of 47 tanks, and on the 10.02.1945 it reported another 80 tanks destroyed.
- Photo 1: Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv
- Photo: Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv
- - FEDERL, CH., Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Panzerdivisionen 1939-1945, VDM Heinz Nickel, Zweibrücken, 2000.
- FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 2004.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001