The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Ruckteschell, von, Hellmuth Max
- Date of birth:
- March 23rd, 1890 (Hamburg-Eilbeck, Germany)
- Date of death:
- September 24th, 1948 (Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel/Hamburg, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Hellmuth von Ruckteschell was born in Hamburg on 23rd March1890. In 1909 he went into service with the Emperial Navy and served in the Frist World War as Oberleutnant zur See and commander on the „UB 34" and „U 54". After the war he served with the Merchant Navy.
When the Second World War broke out he was called into service in 1939 as Officer of Reserves and he became the commander of the Mineship „Cobra". On 5th May 1940 he took command of the Hilfskreuzer HSK 3 „Widder". He served with this ship until October 1940. From September 1941 he became commander of the Hilfskreuzers HSK 9 „Michel" and was again very succesfull. On 3rd September 1942 he was promoted to Kapitän zur See and on 2nd March 1943 he became the Military Attache in Tokio.
Hellmuth von Ruckteschell died on 24th September1948 in British emprisonment in the Zuchthaus Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandant Hilfskreuzers HSK 9 „Michel“
- Awarded on:
- October 31st, 1940
Received for the sinking of 10 enemy ships.
- Photo 1: Wehrkundearchiv
- Photo: Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001
- Thies A., 25. Auktion, Auktionshaus Andreas Thies, Sammlungsgegenstände des 20. Jahrhunderts , Russische Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Militaria, Historische Sammlungsgegenstände, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, 10. Dezember 2004