The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Greim, Ritter von, Robert
- Date of birth:
- June 22nd, 1892 (Bayreuth/Oberfranken, Germany)
- Date of death:
- May 24th, 1945 (Salzburg, Austria)
- Buried on:
- Austrian/German War Graves Salzburg
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
During the First World War, Robert Ritter von Greim was among other decorations, awarded with the Pour le Merite (14th October 1918) and the Bayerischer Militär-Max-Joseph-Orden (23rd October 1918). During the Second World War he was one of the leading Luftwaffe commanders. When at the end of April 1945 reached the message that he was to report to Hitler personnaly at the Führerbunker in the already besieged Berlin, he was flown there by pilot Hanna Reitsch in a daring action. Here Hitler appointed him the new Oberbefehlshaber der Lufwaffe hereby replacing the sacked Hermann Göring and promoted Hitler him to Generalfeldmarschall. On the way back from Berlin he was wounded by shell fire. He committed suicide on 24th May 1945 as American prisoner of war in a field hospital in Salzburg.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Awarded on:
- April 17th, 1945
Awarding documetn for the Flugzeugfuhrers- und beobachtersabzeichen mit brillanten to Generaloberst Robert Ritter von Greim, dated 17th April 1945.
- Photo 1: Gareth Collins
- Photo: Gareth Collins via Axis Biographical Research
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001
- Thies A., 25. Auktion, Auktionshaus Andreas Thies, Sammlungsgegenstände des 20. Jahrhunderts , Russische Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Militaria, Historische Sammlungsgegenstände, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, 10. Dezember 2004
- Axis Biographical Research