The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- September 21st, 1914 (Seefeld/Mark, Germany)
- Date of death:
- March 10th, 1989 (Emsdetten, Germany)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Zugführer 1. / Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung "Großdeutschland"
- Awarded on:
- June 13th, 1943
On march 14th Wilhelm Wegners platoon had to support the 3rd Schwadron of Pz.Aufklärungsbteilung GD. When the assault began at 9am the Schadron sat on Wegners "Sturmgeschützen". After the first contact to the enemy at "Stanowoje" the Schwadron dicovered huge amounts of enemy troops there. Athough the russians were in superiority Wegner decided to attack the enemy at its flank. Totally surprised of this assault of the small german force the Russians lost a few tanks and had to pull back. Wegners Sturmgeschütz killed 6 tanks at this short fight. For that action of bravery Wegner was awarded the Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes on June 13th 1943.
- Photo 1: StefanK
- Photo: StefanK
- - Werhpas
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X
- Das Ritterkreuz
- Axis History Biographical Research via Axis History Forum