The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Ahearn, John Littleton
- Date of birth:
- November 30th, 1914 (Brooklyn, New York, United States)
- Date of death:
- June 23rd, 2004 (Phoenix/Arizona, United States)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- 1st Lieutenant (Lieutenant)
- Commanding Officer Company C, 70th Tank Battalion, attached 4th Infantry Division "Ivy", VII Corps, U.S. Army
For action performed on D-Day, June 6th, 1944 near Pouppeville/Manche département, Basse-Normandie, France. The tank unit of 1st Lieutenant John Ahearn was among the first to land on Utah Beach on 6th June 1944, D-Day. After moving inland, his tank was disabled by a mine. Attempting to rescue two wounded American paratroopers, he lost most of one leg and another foot to a mine.
- - Balkoski, J., Utah Beach: The Amphibious Landing and Airborne Operations on D-day, June 6, 1944, Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, U.S.A., 2006