The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- September 10th, 1908 (Altona/Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)
- Date of death:
- August 29th, 1997 (Hamburg/Lower Saxony, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur II. / Waffen-SS-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 27
- Awarded on:
- May 3rd, 1945
On 1-2.04.1945 Sturmbannführer Stenwedel and his battalion distinguished themselves through their holding of a crossing over the Murr river. Despite a lack of support from heavy weapons they were able to defend their positions successfully against overwhelming enemy forces, and thereby secured the safe passage of the rest of the 13. SS-Freiwilligen-Waffen-Gebirgs-Division "Handschar" over the Murr river. For this act Stenwedel was recommended for the Knight's Cross.
Not substantiated in the German Federal Archives.
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1993.
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9