Centre de la Mémoire d'Oradour

In the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane a unit of the 2. - SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" made such a serious crime that it became a symbol of the crimes of the Waffen-SS.
As retaliation for the kidnapping of an SS Sturmbannführer and other resistance activities, on June 10 1944, 190 men were executed. Also 245 women and 207 children were put into a church. SS Sturmbannführer Adolf Diekmann gave the orders to close the church and to set it on fire. All women and children were killed by this brutal action.

The ruins are a silence evident. Entrance to the ruins is through this museum, the Centre de la Mémoire d'Oradour. The museum was built in 1999 and is dedicated to the massacre.

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source

  • Text: Cor Hagenbeek
  • Photos: Anneke Moerenhout (1,2), Cor Hagenbeek (3), De Roust Jente (3,4)