Motto: "We Search Far"
Formed at Felixstowe in Sept. 1918, No. 230 Squadron remained there until May 1922, then moved to Calshot. In the following year it was disbanded and reformed at Pembroke Dock in Dec. 1934 as a flying boat squadron. In 1935 it went to Alexandria, and to Singapore in 1936. It seems that the squadron remained in the Far East until after the commencement of the Second Great War, when it moved back to Egypt.
It was based at Aboukir until Jan. 1943, when it moved to Dar-Es-Salaam in East Africa to participate in the coastal war in the Indian Ocean. Sunderland IIIs constituted the equipment. During 1943 it was engaged on anti U-boat patrols, air-sea rescue patrols and transit flights; and in Feb. 1944 it moved to Ceylon.
In June 1944 two of its Sunderlands were sent to an anchorage on the upper reaches of the Brahmaputra, whence by day and night they flew to Indawgyi Lake in North Burma to evacuate 500 casualties which otherwise would have been left to the mercy of the Japanese. These flights were extremely hazardous, since hills up to 10,000 feet had to be surmounted, and one of the Sunderlands was lost in a hurricane whilst at anchor. In July 1944 its aircraft were instrumental in the rescue of 230 survivors of a torpedoed ship.
During Jan. and Feb. 1945 the squadron re-equipped with Sunderland Vs and commenced training in anticipation of anti-shipping operations in the Bay of Bengal; meanwhile, its aircraft transported stores from Calcutta to Kalewa on the Chindwin river in Central Burma. In April it moved to Akyab, to Rangoon in Sept. and later to Singapore. No. 230 was the first Sunderland squadron to operate in South-East Asia.