The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- May 26th, 1894 (Passau)
- Date of death:
- March 9th, 1988 (Landshut)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Britzelmayr served with Infanterie-Regiments 179 and 217. In 1943 he commanded the officer's school in Sissone, France. In 1944 he commanded Grenadier-Regiment 19 / 7.Infanterie-Division.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberstleutnant (Lieutenant-colonel)
- Kommandeur Infanterie-Regiment 217 / 57.Infanterie-Division
- Awarded on:
- February 2nd, 1942
The following wartime excerpt describes why Britzelmayr was awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“On the 22.01.1942 Britzelmayr and his Regiment captured the village of Solnzewo following a battle that lasted from dawn until dusk. They did this despite the temperatures of -35 degrees celsius and the much larger defending enemy force, who defended with all available means (including tanks). When the attack threatened to bog down in the course of the street fighting, he placed himself at the head of his troops. Inspired by his example, they succeeded in defeating and evicting the enemy from the village while inflicting heavy losses. The capture of Solnzewo enabled the southern wing of the 2. Armee to successfully conduct an attack on the following day that managed to finally close the gap into which the enemy was constantly pouring in forces, and with this the dangerous flank threat to two Armeen that had existed for weeks was eliminated.”
- Photo 1: Willi Schumacher
- Photo: Willi Schumacher collection
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, 1993.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X