The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Griffin, Peter Ryerse
- Date of birth:
- Date of death:
- Canadian (1931-present, Constitutional Monarchy)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- B Company, 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, 3rd Parachute Brigade, 6th Airborne Division, British Army
- Awarded on:
- August 31st, 1944
On 8th June 1944 in a counter attack on buildings occupied by the enemy this officer so successfully led his company that the buildings which were strongly held were captured, and heavy casualties inflicted on the enemy. The enemy immediately counter attacked with very superior forces and Captain Griffin by exceptional coolness successfully returned his company to a defensive position and held on calmly under heavy sniping and mortaring. In neither of these actions was this company supported by Battalion supporting arms.
Supplement to the London Gazette, 31 August, 1944.
- Photo 1: Familie/Family
- - ZUEHLKE, M., Holding Juno, Douglas & McIntyre Ltd., Vancouver, Canada, 2006.
- Horn, B. & Wyczynski M., Paras Versus the Reich – Canada’s Paratroopers at War, 1942-45, Dundurn Press, Toronto, Canada, 2003
- National Defence and the Canadian Forces
- The Pegasus Archive