- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Generalleutnant (Major-general)
- Kommandeur, 212. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- May 9th, 1945
Awarded for the following battlefield achievements...
1) Holding a hilltop position near Raseinen during the tank battle there in August 1944 (04-09.08.1944).
2) Contributing towards the formation of bridgeheads at Weilerbach and Echternach as part of the left wing of the 7. Armee during the Battle of the Bulge (16.12.1944).
3) Launching an attack on Echternach with his Füsilier-Bataillon, which he personally led from the front (20.12.1944).
4) Preventing the enemy capture of the road near Irrel (leading towards Bitburg) and the formation of a new defensive front forward of Irrel. He was able to conduct the latter in spite of strong enemy artillery fire and air activity.
The awarding was supported by Reichsführer-SS on March 10th, 1945, the Oberbefehlshaber Heersgruppe B, Generalfeldmarschall Model on March 14th, 1945 and the Oberbefehlshaber West Generalfeldmarschall Kesselring on March 21st, 1945. Warding accoridng to the Dönitz-Erlass. When counted it would have been the 881st Award.