The "1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 2er Klasse 1914" or Clasp to the Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914 was instituted on September 1st, 1939 pursuant to the Decree Institution of the Iron Cross and published in the Reichsgesetzblatt – Code of Law – nr. 159 dated September 2nd, 1939, page 1573. Article 5 states that a person, already in possession of the Iron Cross 2nd Class of World War One on conferment of the Iron Cross 2nd Class 1939 shall be presented with a clasp to be worn on the ribbon of the Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914.
The clasp takes the form of the German eagle with a swastika over a small disc with the year 1939. The clasp measures 31 mm (1,2 inch) in height, its width varies between 29 and 31,4 mm (1,1 to 1,2 inch) and is made from silver plated brass or silver plated zinc.