The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Hoey, Charles Ferguson
- Date of birth:
- March 29th, 1914 (Duncan, British Columbia, Canada)
- Date of death:
- February 17th, 1944 (Ngakyedauk, Arakan, Burma)
- Buried on:
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Taukkyan
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- 1st. Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment, British Army
On 16 February 1944 Major Hoey’s company came under heavy enemy fire near the Ngakyedauk Pas, Burma. Without hesitation Major Hoey stormed in the direction of the enemy fire and although he was wounded in this solo action he managed to capture the enemy position and killed its crew. A few moments later he died as a result of his sustained injuries.
Major Hoey’s Victoria Cross is publicly displayed at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln, Great Britain.
Charles Ferguson Hoey is buried at the Taukkyan War Cemetery, Burma.