The name Sint-Elisabeth has been associated with healthcare in Alkmaar for centuries. In 1341, the Sint Elisabethgasthuys (St. Elisabeth Hospital) was founded, presumably the city's first hospital. After a merger in 1785, the name disappeared until Catholic nuns opened the Sint Elisabethgesticht (St. Elisabeth Institute) on Emmastraat in 1897. Due to the aging of the Stadsziekenhuis (City Hospital), the institution quickly grew in popularity.
In 1927, the new Sint-Elisabeth Hospital opened on Van Everdingenstraat, designed by Jan Stuyt, with 350 beds. The Stadsziekenhuis moved to the Cadet School in 1930 and became the Centraal Ziekenhuis (Central Hospital) in 1931. After the construction of a new building for the Centraal Ziekenhuis in 1965, the Sint-Elisabeth became outdated. No new construction took place, and in 1974, the two institutions merged to form the Medisch Centrum Alkmaar (Alkmaar Medical Center).
During the war, the hospital also played a role in the resistance. In 1944, a radio transmitter that was in contact with the General Headquarters of the Internal Security Forces was temporarily hidden in a bathroom at the Sint-Elisabeth Hospital after its previous location had become too dangerous.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!