Memorial in red veined marble with bronze medallion showing profile of J-B Piron, sculpted by Victor Demanet. Below the medallion the emblem of the Brigade Piron, the Belgian tricolor and the shield of Couvin. Below the plaque are the flags of England, France, the Netherlands and the United States.
On the engraved bronze plate we read the following text:
"The city of Couvin and the veterans of the Piron Brigade
Tribute to Lieutenant General J. Piron - D.S.O.
It comes from this city, which in 1944, at the head of the First Belgian Brigade, took part in the Normandy landings and participated in the liberation of France, Belgium and the Netherlands ".
The Brigade Piron or officially Belgian 1st Infantry Brigade was established in the United Kingdom during World War II and was commanded by Jean-Baptiste Piron who in turn was under the command of the British 6th Airborne Division of the Canadian 1st Army.
From August 28, 1944, the brigade fell under the British 49th Division of the British 2nd Army.
The brigade consisted of 2,200 Belgian and Luxembourg soldiers who had fled. The unit was trained in Tenby (Wales). She landed on August 7, 1944 at Arromanches and Courseulles-sur-Mer, and liberated Cabourg on August 21, Deauville on August 22, Trouville-sur-Mer on August 24 and Honfleur on August 25.
Afterwards, the brigade took part in the liberation of Belgium. She crossed the border at Rongy on September 3 and liberated the capital Brussels a day later. Subsequently, the unit took part in the campaign in the Netherlands, especially on Walcheren and in Betuwe.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Marie-Christine Vinck
- Photos: Marie-Christine Vinck