Budzyn is located 5 km northwest of the Polish town of Krasnik. Ca. 800 to 1,000 Jewish internees were killed or collapsed in this camp during the occupation of Poland. SS-Arbeitslager Budzyn was constructed between 22 June 1941 till 1942 and established in Autumn 1942 near a military-Industrial complex. The intention was therefore that future internees would perform forced labour in this complex.
In total 5 large deportations took place to Budzyn, namely:
1. Autumn 1942: 500 Jews from Krasnik and other surrounding villages.
2. Autumn 1942: 400 Jewish-Polish prisoners of war.
3. Beginning of 1943: Last remaining Jews from the Belzyce ghetto.
4. Between April and May 1943: 800 Jews from the Warsaw ghetto.
5. 10 July 1943: Last remaining Jews from the Hrubieszow Ghetto.
In February 1944, Budzyn became officially a concentration camp and moreover a sub-camp of the infamous concentration camp Majdanek, whereby the SS could continue held supervision on the Budzyn camp. Although the camp was small in size, crimes and inhuman acts against the internees committed in Budzyn where common. Eventually Budzyn was liberated by the Red Army in June 1944, however most of the Jewish internees already had been transmitted during that time elsewhere. If Budzyn was reused after the liberation is not clear.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!