Concentration Camp Breitenau

In June 1932, the national-socialists first established a correctional facility in the Benedictine monastery of Gluxhagen. Political enemies were imprisoned here and they learned through intimidation the best way to live in Nazi-Germany. In 1933, an early concentration camp was added to the complex. In this new formed concentration camp, 470 political prisoners were detained between June 1933 till March 1934. In March 1934, the decision came to close KZ Breitenau.

In 1940, Breitenau was reopened, which now was under supervision of the Gestapo. From 1940 till 1945, 8,500 internees stayed in the camp, of whom 6.500 foreigners and 2.000 Germans. The internees remained an average 56 days in KZ Breitenau. The camp was eventually closed in 1945 before the arrival of the US Army. Of the 8.500 internees, 1.800 were deported to other concentration camps.

Since 1984, an permanent exhibit is held in one of the monastery buildings to remembrance the Nazi period. The initiative is set up by the university of Kassel.

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source

Related books

The Camp Men
Leven met de dood
The Third Reich
Encyclopedia of the Third Reich
Hitlers gewillige beulen