Prison Memorial "Roter Ochse"

In 1938 this building was set up as punish- and education camp for the city Halle. It was suitable for 350 prisoners.

From 1933 up to 1935 it served as a prison of the National Socialistic judicial authorities and police force. In 1934 the prison was extended so that 600 prisoners could be kept here. Between 1936 and 1945 a workshop for the prisoners was created and the capacity was extended to 790 prisoners. Prisoners from the whole of Germany and from 1939 onwards of 17 European countries were kept here. In 1945 1200 prisoners were kept here.

From 1942 up to 1945 the building once used as infirmary was now used as a Court room for the Wehrmacht and the People's Court. Totally 549 men and women were condemned to the death penalty here.

The building has now become a memorial (Gedenkstätte).

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source