Augustusburg Castle

In this castle, built between 1568 and 1572, where established during the 30's a concentration camp, refugee camp (1938) and Gauführer-school.

Augustusburg concentration camp.(May 1933 - December 1935)
The 120 prisoners of Augustusburg were forced to work in the road construction and quarries nearby. KZ Augustusburg was operated by the SS. The camp was closed in December 1935.

Gaufuhrer-school.(1933 - May 1945)
The director of this school was the NSDAP-politician Hans Seifert, who lived in this castle during the 30's and 40's. On 4 May the Red Army stood in front of the castle and started to bombard it. Seifer and his personnel fled in hurry.

The castle today:
At the main entrance of castle Augustusburg, a plaque is placed in memory of the camp and its victims. The museum within the castle is home to Europe's largest collection of motorbikes of the 20th century.

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source