The Marineküstenbatterie Prinz Heinrich was the first battery to be established on the Channel coast (27 July 1940). Initially the battery was destined to support the German invasion of Britain. Until 1943 the battery operated against the English coast and enemy ships in the Channel.
The battery commander was Kapitänleutnant Natzmer. The eastern section was commanded by Leutnant Bremmecle; the western section by Leutnant Lehmann.
In 1943 the battery was transferred to Leningrad and replaced by the Marineküstenbatterie Grosser Kurfürst.
The fire control bunker (SK Leitstand) was located further inland on the Mont Vasseur. The strongpoint relied on various observation posts all along the coast: Bastion XII in Calais (Peilstand 1), Cap Blanc-Nez (Peilstand 3), Mont de Couple, Le Portel (Peilstand 4) and Sangatte.
The most remarkable bunker can be found on the grounds of the Ferme Bara. This was the hospital bunker (Sanitätsbunker). In addition to the surgery room decorated with tiles, the name "Sanitätsbunker Prinz Heinrich" can be found above the entrance. On the Ferme Martel and Ferme Stival the personnel and ammunition bunkers, as well as the open emplacements for the 2 large guns can be found.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!