This memorial and cemetery belongs to the Institution des Invalides de la Legion Étrangere (detachment of the French Foreign Legion for wounded Legionnaires). The memorial commemorates the victims of the battles of the French Foreign Legion, including those in the Crimean War, the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871), the Great War (World War I) and World War II.
The cemetery contains the graves of the following famous WW2 veterans:
- Général d'armée Jean Olié.
- Prince Aage of Denmark. He suddenly died in 1940, while being stationed in Marocco.
- Lieutenant-colonel Pierre Paul Jeanpierre.
- Major Siegfried Freytag. He was a German Luftwaffe flying ace during the Second World War. After the war, he joined the French Foreign Legion.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Fedor de Vries & Kaj Metz
- Photos: Wikimedia Commons
- KAMP, R. VAN DE, Geen mannen, maar duivels!, QV Uitgeverij, Nijmegen, 2014.