The stronghold position at Helenaveen was part of the Peel-Raamstelling
. The stronghold was built in 1939-1940 to defend the Peel area. The line ran along the Deurne channel, but at Helenaveen had some outposts along the Helena canal. Along the canal of Deurne we find the following casemates from north to south: 212, 214, 213, 211, 210, 209, 208, 207 and 215. Only the 212 and 207 seem to be left of this. Of the 214 and 208 only remains can be found. Further to the east in Helenaveen are the casemates 201 to 206. Only the 206 is still left of this.
The area of this stronghold, in the triangle Hogebrug-Lagebrug-Helenaveen, was defended by the 1st company of the 3rd battalion of the 30th Infantry Regiment under Captain J.W. de Heer. On 10 May at 3:00 am the stronghold was fully occupied; at that time the first German planes also flew over. The only noteworthy event is that around 16:00 a group of 10 to 20 German cyclists approached the positions at Helenaveen on the road from Sevenum. There were reportedly two victims on the German side. That same evening, the troops received the order to withdraw behind the Zuid-Willems canal.