This medal was instituted on April 21st 1966 by act of the Polish Parliament to commemorate the soldiers of the People’s Army that fought in the Battle of Berlin in April/May 1945 and all other soldiers of the Polish Army during that period. The medal was conferred to the Minister of National Defence, so it became a Ministry Decoration rather than a State Decoration.
The obverse side of the 38mm, silver medal bears the image resembling the Order of the Grunwald Cross and carries the inscription ZA UDZIAL : W WALKACH O BERLIN, meaning "for participation in the battle of Berlin". The reverse is decorated with a laurel spray wearing a ribbon and the inscription MINISERSTWO / OBRONY NARODOWEJ /PRL, meaning "Ministry of National Defense People’s Republic of Poland".
The red ribbon measures 40mm wide and bears two stripes on each side, a yellow one on the outer and a black one on each inner side.