- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur Infanterie-Regiment 20
- Awarded on:
- October 27th, 1939
One of a handful of Heer soldiers to be awarded the Knight’s Cross for actions in the Polish campaign. For Schmidt they are summarized as follows…
1) For the battle near Sieradz, and the breakthrough of a Polish bunker line east of the Warthe by his troops (03-04.09.1939).
2) For the battle at Bielawy and Przymus, where his men prevented an attempted Polish break-in aimed at the open left flank of the Army (10-11.09.1939).
3) His independent decision to attack and seize Hill 117, near Kwjatek (14.09.1939).
4) The capture of Fort Mokotowski (Warsaw) by his troops (25.09.1939).