Wilhelm Ambrosius entered the navy in 1921.
On 8th May 1945 he became a POW of the British from whom he was released on 8th December 1948.
3rd October 1921: Rekrut
3rd March 1923: Funkgast
3rd October 1923: Oberfunkgast
1st May 1925: Obermatrose
1st November 1925: Matrosenobergefreiter
1st April 1926: Offiziersanwärter
1st April 1928: Fähnrich zur See
1st July 1930: Oberfähnrich zur See
1st October 1930: Leutnant zur See
1st October 1932: Oberleutnant zur See
1st April 1936: Kapitänleutnant
1st November 1940: Korvettenkapitän
1st June 1944: Fregattenkapitän
- U-Lehrgang u. Kommandantenschießlehrgang Unterseebootsabwehrschule, Kiel-Wik: 1935 until 30th April 1936;
- Kommandant zur Verfügung U-Flottille Saltzwedel, Wilhelmshaven: 11st May 1936 until 11th September 1936;
- Kommandant U 28 / U-Flottille Salzwedel, Wilhelmshaven: 12th September 1936 until 1st November 1938 during which he was in April 1937 temporarily Kommandant U 21 / U-Flottille Weddigen, Kiel;
- Flottillenchef in Vertretung U-Flottille Hundius, Wilhelmshaven: 6th August 1938 until 31st July 1939;
- Baubelehrung U 43 Deutsche Schiff- und Maschinenbau AG [AG Weser], Bremen / Marinelehrwerkstatt, Wilhelmshaven: 1st August until 25th August 1939;
- Kommandant U 43 / U-Flottille Hundius, Wilhelmshaven u. 2.U-Flottille, Wilhelmshaven / Lorient: 26th August 1939 until 20th October 1940;
- Kommandeur 1. Abteilung / 2.Unterseeboots-Lehr-Division, Gotenhafen: 1st November 1940 until 30th June 1943;
- Flottillenchef 22.U-Flottille, Gotenhafen: 1st January 1941 until 4th January 1944;
- Kommandeur in Vertretung 2.Unterseeboots-Lehr-Division, Gotenhafen: 3rd December 1943 until 16th February 1944;
- Flottillenchef 2.Minensuchflottille: February 1944 until August 1944;
- Kommandeur Sperrschule Kiel-Wik: October 1944 until February 1945;
- Führer 11.Sicherungsdivision: March 1945 until 8th May 1945;
As commander of U 43: Completed five war patrols 176 days, made one transit sailing 3 days. Sank 7 merchant ships 38.403 GRT and sank 1 tanker 8.627 GRT. Kptlt. Wilhelm Ambrosius was removed from the command and replaced by Oblt. Wolfgang Lüth.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!