- Date of birth:
- October 30th, 1891 (Neudietendorf/Thuringia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- December 12th, 1964 (Lübeck/Westernphalia, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Otto Ciliax was born on 30th October 1891.
Once commanding officer of the Scharnhorst, he commanded Operation Cerebus in February 1942 where Scharnhorst and Gneisenau with Prinz Eugen dashed through the English Channel from Brest to their homebases in Germany.
15th April 1911: Fähnrich zur See;
27th September 1913: Leutnant zur See;
22nd March 1916: Oberleutnant zur See;
29th June 1920: Kapitänleutnant;
1st October 1928: Korvettenkapitän;
1st October 1933: Fregattenkapitän;
1st July 1935: Kapitän zur See;
1st November 1939: Konteradmiral;
1st June 1941: Vizeadmiral;
1st February 1943: Admiral.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Befehlshaber der Schlachtschiffe
- Awarded on:
- March 21st, 1942
- Photo 1: Gareth Collins
- Photo: Gareth Collins from Axis Biographical Research
- - Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X