Mauchenheim gen. Bechtolsheim, Freiherr von, Theod
- Date of birth:
- August 26th, 1902 (Schloß Mainsondheim/Unterfranken, Germany)
- Date of death:
- April 20th, 1972 (Hannover, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Theodor Freiherr von Mauchenheim genannt Bechtolsheim was the son to Franz Freiherr von Mauchenheim.
October 1st, 1943: Kapitän zur See.
March 1939 - August 1942: Kommandant Zerstörer Karl Galster;
August 1942 - September 1943: 1.Admiralstabsoffizier, Stab Führer der Zerstörer;
April 1944 - June 1944: Chef 8. Zerstörerflottille, Narvik;
July 1944 - May 1945: Marine-Verbindungsoffizier, Oberbefehlshaber der Marine zum Reichssicherheitshauptamt.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kapitän zur See (Captain Royal Navy)
- Chef, 8. Zerstörerflottille, Kriegsmarine
- Awarded on:
- July 3rd, 1944
During the allied invasion of Normandy Kapitän zur See Freiherr von Mauchenheim led his destroyer flotilla into battle against the invasion fleet. NW of the Isle de Bas his ships engaged the British 10th Destroyer Flotilla. His command ship was sunk during the battle, however he managed to save his crew from the ship.
He would be awarded the Knight’s Cross for his valour here as well as his previous successes in numerous sorties, convoy escort missions and mine operations.
- - DÖRR, MANFRED, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehmacht 1939–1945, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, 1996.
- FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.