- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Korvettenkapitän (Lieutenant Commander)
- Chef 2.Torpedobootsflottille
- Awarded on:
- March 4th, 1945
Awarded the Knight’s Cross for his achievements as a torpedo boat commander throughout the war, the most important of which are described below…
1) Participating in the Channel Dash as captain of the Torpedo boat “Jaguar”, during which he shot down 3 enemy aircraft (10-12.02.1942).
2) Capturing the British ship “ML 306” on 28.03.1942, which later went into service as the German R-Boat “RA 9”.
3) Sinking the British cruiser “Charybdis” in the English Channel on 23.10.1943 as captain of the Torpedo boat “T 23”.
4) Escorting the vital German supply convoys in the Baltic during the time period August 1944 - March 1945 as commander of the 2. Torpedobootsflottille. His ships ensured the transport of over a million GRT of materiel without loss. He led 48 convoys himself, during which 7 enemy aircraft were shot down and a Soviet submarine was sunk. In this time a total of 8 ships that had been damaged through mines were also escorted safely to harbour.