- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberleutnant (1st Lieutenant)
- Kompaniechef, 2. Kompanie, Gebirgs-Pionier-Bataillon 85, 50. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- May 14th, 1941
Awarded for the following actions…
1) Oberleutnant Rast was with his Pioniere on 07.04.1941 attached to the northern assault group of German troops that had been tasked with capturing the Greek mountain fortress of “Hellas” (near Nimfea). He and his men climbed the heights under fierce enemy fire, thereafter silencing the facility’s firing apertures one after another with grenades and explosive charges. This enabled the follow-on infantry forces to move forward unencumbered. More than 400 Greeks, including a General, were taken prisoner.
2) On the night of 10.04.1941, Oberleutnant Rast and an assault team crossed the 200 meter wide river of Nestos, eliminated the enemy bunkers on the far bank and was once again able to clear the way for the main contingent of German infantry.