Salisch, von, Wilhelm
- Date of birth:
- November 5th, 1913 (Chorinchen/Brandenburg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- March 18th, 1945 (Balga/Eastern Prussia, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Wilhelm von Salisch was born in Chorinchen/Brandenburg/Germany on 5.11.1913. He joined the army on 1.10.1936 and was promoted Leutnant on 1.1. 38 and Oberleutnant on 1.6.40.
Throughout most of the war he served in Jaeger (rifle) units which were considered the elite of the infantry.
In the Russian campaign he served as company commander, was promoted to Captain on 1.10.42, and batallion commander where he was promoted to Major on 1.4.43. He was promoted on 27.7.44 Oberstleutnant. He was appointed commander of Jaegerregiment 49 and promoted to Colonel on 1.2.45. On 18.3.45 he was killed in action near Balga/Eastern Prussia/Germany.
A posthume recommendation was made for the Eichenlaub mit Schwertern between April 17th and April 30th, 1945. Up till now no evidence has been found the recommendation was ever send on.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Captain)
- Kommandeur III. / Jäger-Regiment 49
- Awarded on:
- April 20th, 1943
Awarded for his leadership and bravery during the 2nd Battle of Lake Ladoga in early 1943. During this time the 28. Jäger-Division distinguished itself through its steadfastness in defense.
Awarded for his achievements during the Soviet Operation Bagration. After the collapse of Heeresgruppe Mitte the 28. Jäger-Division was deployed to the area around Baranovichi. Here Salisch and his regiment would give a good account of themselves in the defense.
- Photo: Ernst S. von Heydebrand
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1998.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X
- Thomas, Die Eichenlaubträger, Biblio Verlag 1998
- Stockert, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-45
- "In memoriam Oberst von Salisch", issued by survivors of Jaegerregiment 49