- Date of birth:
- October 28th, 1897 (Metzingen, Germany)
- Date of death:
- November 28th, 1984 (Bad Honnef/North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Hans Speidel reached the rank of Generalleutnant during the Second World War. After the war he was involved in the institution of the Bundeswehr and the entry of Western Germany in the NATO. On 22nd November 1955 he became the Chef der Abteilung Gesamtstreitkräfte im Bundesverteidigungsministerium and again received the rank of Generalleutnant. Between April 1957 and September 1963 he was as General der Bundeswehr the Oberbefehlshaber der alliierten Landstreitkräfte in Mitteleuropa (COMLANDCENT – Commander Allied Land Forces Central Europe). He retired at the age of 66 in March 1964.
Hans Speidel died on 28th November 1984.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Photo 1: Willi Schumacher Collection
- Photo: Willi Schumacher Collection
- - Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X