The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Stettner, Ritter von Grabenhofen, Walter
- Date of birth:
- March 19th, 1895 (Munich/Bavaria, Germany)
- Date of death:
- October 18th, 1944 (Belgrade, Yougoslavia)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur 1.Gebirgs-Division
- Awarded on:
- April 23rd, 1943
Here follows an excerpt from Stettner's Knight's Cross recommendation...
"Oberst Stettner Ritter von Grabenhofen has with his Bavarian Gebirgsjäger made a major contribution towards the destruction of the Soviet 58th Army on the northern front of the Kuban bridgehead (as reported in the Wehrmachtbericht of 06.03.1943). In a six day battle he led his Gebirgsjäger forward through the very difficult terrain and threw back the superior enemy forces located in the swamps on the south shore of the Sea of Azov. Oberst Stettner von Grabenhofen was for the outstanding leadership of his division promoted to Generalmajor."
The results of the German victory here included the capture of 1000 prisoners, 69 guns and over 250 mortars and machine guns.
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1993.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X
- Axis History Biographical Research via Axis History Forum