Awarded for his outstanding leadership of the Infanterie-Regiment 41 during Operation Barbarossa, which included the following actions...
1) The fight for Shlobin on 06.07, and the subsequent crossing over the Dnieper.
2) The defense of Propoisk (19.-25.07.).
3) Defeating a Soviet battalion's attack into the German rear areas at Novosybkov with a scratch force of supply troops and a FlaK platoon (24.08.).
4) The determined defense of his Regiment north of the Desna against a Soviet attack by parts of 4 enemy divisions (27.08.).
5) Pushing back strong elements of 4 Soviet divisions to the NW during the battle at the Glukhov bridgehead. In a four-day attack operation the division captured 1700 prisoners and much enemy materiel (29.09.).
6) The battle for Negino, which changed hands several times until at last on 11.10. the village was firmly in the hands of Traut's regiment.
7) Storming the town of Yefremov while subordinated to the 18th Panzer Division (17-22.11.).
8) The defense of Gorlovo. On 08.12. he launched an attack with the subordinated I. and II./Infanterie-Regiment 20 on the heights at the village of Klekotki. The assault succeeded in conquering the village, and in doing so released 39 German prisoners and reopened the road Gorlowo-Jepifan.
At the same time Kommandeur Infanterie-Regiment 41.