- Date of birth:
- July 2nd, 1916 (Konradswaldau-Landeshut/Silesia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- December 18th, 1982 (Rosenheim/Bavaria, Germany)
- Buried on:
- Grave Hans-Ulrich Rudel
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
December 4th, 1936: Fahnenjumnker;
June 1938: Oberfähnrich;
January 1st, 1939: Leutnant;
September 1st, 1940: Oberleutnant;
April 1st, 1943: Hauptmann;
March 1st, 1944: Major (RDA October 1st, 1942);
September 1st, 1944: Oberstleutnant;
December 29th, 1944: Oberst.
?- 1936: Gymnasium Lauben;
December 4th, 1936: Luftkriegschule, Wilpark-Werder;
June 1937: Ausbildung Flugzeugführer;
June 1938: Sturzkampfflieger-Ausbildung, Graz-Thalerhof;
?: I. Gruppe / Sturzkampfgeschwader 168;
December 1st, 1938: Ausbildung Beobachter, Aufklärerschule Hildesheim;
June 1st, 1939: Beobachter 2. Staffel / Fernaufklärungsgruppe 121, Prenzlau;
March 1940: Regimentsadjutant Fliegerausbildungsregiment 43, Wien-Stammersdorf;
April 1941: Sturzkampfgeschwader 2;
March 1942 - August 1942: Ergänzungsstaffel, Graz;
August 15th, 1942: 2. Staffel / Sturzkampfgeschwader 2;
November 1942: Staffelkapitän 1. Staffel / Sturzkampfgeschwader 2;
September 18th, 1943: Führer III. Gruppe / Sturzkampfgeschwader 2;
February 22nd, 1944: Kommandeur III. Gruppe / Sturzkampfgeschwader 2;
October 1944: Führer Schlachtgeschwader 2 "Immelmann".
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
Awarded for his achievements throughout 1942, by the end of which he had flown over 750 sorties. During this time he was credited with the following successes...
- Destroying enemy batteries at Swinowojka and Marajewa through direct hits (21. and 30.01.1942).
- Paralyzing a Soviet attack on 27.01.1942 by destroying two buildings occupied by an enemy Brigade staff in Barsuki. He also eliminated 3 vehicles and 2 trucks in this attack.
- Damaging a freighter (with 4000 GRT) in the harbour of Tuapse (23.09.1942).
- Destroying an enemy supply dump (29.09.1942).
- Creating a landslide at the Induk pass, which blocked it to enemy forces for quite some time.
- Destroying 3 aircraft, 2 batteries, 3 guns and 2 bunkers (23.09.-26.10.1942).
- Destroying 3 tanks, 1 battery, 9 vehicles and 2 trucks (13.11.-14.12.1942).
Staffelkapitän. 229th Award.
Awarded after flying 1600 sorties, during which he destroyed over 100 tanks.
Kommandeur. 42nd Award.
"Between Dnyestr and Pruth large German aerial assault units joined the battle. They destroyed numerous enemy tanks and a large number of motorized and horse-drawn vehicles. On this occasion Major Rudel once more destroyed nine enemy tanks. On more than 1800 missions he has destroyed 202 enemy tanks."
Awarded after flying over 1800 sorties, during which he destroyed over 200 enemy tanks.
Kommandeur. 10th Award.
"27 more tanks were destroyed by ground-assault aircraft. Major Rudel alone destroyed eleven, taking his total to 300 tanks destroyed with aircraft guns."
Awarded after flying over 2400 sorties, and bringing his total of tanks destroyed to 463.
Awarded as the 1st and only soldier of the Wehrmacht to be so decorated.
Had flown a total of 2530 sorties by the end of the war, during which he destroyed...
- 519 Soviet tanks
- 1 battleship
- 1 cruiser
- 1 destroyer
- 70 landing boats
- 800+ motorized vehicles
- 150+ Artillery -, Pak and anti-aircraft positions
- 4 armoured trains
- Numerous bridges
- 9 air victories (7 fighters, 2 Il-2's)
- Photo: Willi Schumacher Collection
- Photo grave: Norbert Beyelein
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1998.
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001