- Second World War (1939-1945)
- General der Infanterie (Lieutenant-general of Infantry)
- Kommandierender General, XXXV. Armeekorps, Heer
- Awarded on:
- January 24th, 1944
Awarded for his successes as commander of the XXXV. Armee-Korps (9. Armee, Heeresgruppe Mitte) up until the end of 1943. His superiors recognized him for both his energy and willingness to personally intervene in the frontlines and thus remedy critical situations. He particularly distinguished himself in the following actions...
1. His masterful evacuation of the Gomel bridgehead against overwhelming pressure.
2. Defeating all Soviet breakthrough attempts in December 1943 in the area southwest of Shlobin.