Egon Stoll-Berberich (until 5th May 1943 Egon Berberich) joined the Luftwaffe on 1st May 1935 after he had started a career as a police officer at the Landespolizei Hessen (Police Force of the State of Hesse) on 9th April 1934. He was first sent to Fliegergruppe P (1st May 1935 – 31st May 1937) and later on trained as pilot at A-Schule in Detmold and B-Schule in Schleißheim (1st June 1937 – 30th June 1938). From 1st July 1938 his active career as pilot started in various Sturzkampfgeschwader, first in the Schlachtgruppe 50, later turned into St.G 163 and finally into III St.G. 2. With these groups he served in missions in Sudetenland (1938), the Eastern and Western fronts in the early days of WW II. In 1940 he was responsible for training Me 109 pilots of JG 51 in bomb attacks and then once again sent back to III St.G. 1. With this group he fought in battles in the Mediterranean Sea and in Russia. From June 1942 until the end of 1942 he trained young pilots in the Ergänzungsstaffel St.G.1. On 12th August 1943 he flew his 500th mission. From March 1944 until 13th April 1945 he was commanding III SG 151 and finally became commander of I SG 77 until the end of the war.
During WW II he was shot down seven times and was severely wounded twice. He flew more than 800 missions, mainly on JU 87, about 75 on FW 190.
In 1954 he applied for a career in the Bundesluftwaffe and was employed as Hauptmann in 1959. He left the Bundesluftwaffe in 1969 as an Oberstleutnant.
* Unterwachtmeister (Landespolizei Hessen) 5th March 1935
* Obergefreiter 1st April 1936
* Unterführer 1st June 1936
* Unteroffizier 1st April 1937
* Feldwebel 1st November 1939
* Oberfeldwebel 1st April 1940
* Leutnant d.R. 1st September 1940
* Oberleutnant d.R. 1st June 1942
* Hauptmann d.R. 1st January 1943
* Major d.R. 1st April 1945 (not accepted by Bundeswehr in 1954)
* Major (Bundeswehr) 1st December 1964
* Oberstleutnant (Bundeswehr) 17th April 1969
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!