Meyer, Heinz (LW-Fallschirmjäger)
- Date of birth:
- April 9th, 1916 (Magdeburg/ANhalt, Germany)
- Date of death:
- December 22nd, 1987 (Viersen/North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
October 1939: Unteroffizier;
August 1st, 1940: Leutnant;
August 29th, 1942: Oberleutnant;
November 1st, 1943: Hauptmann der Reserve;
January 1st, 1945: Major der Reserve.
November 2nd, 1937: 14. Kompanie, Regiment General Göring;
April 1st, 1938: 4.(M.G.) Kompanie, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 1;
1941: Zugführer, 11. Kompanie, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 3;
?: Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 4;
?: Führer, III. Bataillon, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 3;
February 20th, 1941: Führer, 10. Kompanie, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 4;
April 1944: Führer, III. Bataillon, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 4;
May 1944: Führer, III. Bataillon, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 15;
April 1945: Kommandeur, III. Bataillon, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 15;
May 8th, 1945 - December 20th, 1945: American POW.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann der Reserve (Flight Lieutenant of Reserves)
- Chef, 8. Kompanie, II. Bataillon, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 4, 1. Fallschirmjäger-Division, Luftwaffe
- Awarded on:
- April 8th, 1944
On the 19.03.1944 Meyer and his Fallschirmjäger battalion were in position near Cassino in the sector Hill 593 - Albaneta homestead. This day the Allies launched a tank-led assault along the so-called “Cavendish Road”, and by 09:00 had reached the Albanete homestead. Here however Meyer’s troops launched their counterstrike. Fire support from artillery and small-arms forced the enemy drivers to close their hatches. In the ensuing battle 6 enemy tanks were destroyed and 16 damaged. More than this an enemy breakthrough here was prevented.
1132nd Luftwaffe Award.
Awarded for his leadership of the III./Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 15 against US forces near Monte Castre. Here his men inflicted heavy losses on the enemy.
- Photo 1: DPL1945
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1998.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001
- Heinz Meyer - Lexikon der Wehrmacht