The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Roßmann, Karl Franz Joseph
- Date of birth:
- November 23rd, 1916 (Kempten im Allgäu/bavaria, Germany)
- Date of death:
- April 1st, 2002 (Bad Kreuznach, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Karl Roßmann finally reached the rank of Oberstleutnant.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberleutnant (1st Lieutenant)
- Chef 16. / IV. / Flak-Regiment "General Göring" (motorisiert)
- Awarded on:
- November 12th, 1941
On 02.08.1941, as the pocket battle of Uman drew to its conclusion, the encircled Soviet forces attempted a desperate breakout by night. One of the German units in their path, between Uman and Slatopol near the town of Swerdlikowo, was the Batterie Roßmann along with a handful of infantry including troops from the SS-Division “Wiking”. This small force, under the command of Roßmann himself, was able to hold out against all attacks for 14 hours and thus play a major role in ensuring the destruction of trapped Soviet 6th, 12th and elements of the 18th Armies. For this act Roßmann would receive the Knight’s Cross.
- Photo 1: Wehrkundearchiv
- Photo: Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1998.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X
- Karl Rossmann - Lexikon der Wehrmacht