Schmidt, Otto (LW-Stuka Geschwader 77)
- Date of birth:
- February 23rd, 1917 (Brühlhof/Rhineprovince, Germany)
- Date of death:
- December 1st, 2006 (Celle - Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Channel pilot, WIA 18 August, 1940 when his ac was damaged during an attack on Thorney Island, Sussex. He managed to return to base with his seriously wounded R/O, Uffz Gerhard Bärsch. BäDOW 2 October, 1940; bur War Cem. Waldfriedhof Oberrad, Frankfurt Germany (D.Drury).
At wars end, a British POW, released in the Fall of 1947.
Credited with 555 missions destroying 61 tanks, several supply ships and a Soviet submarine in the Black Sea.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Captain)
- Staffelkapitän 7. / Sturzkampfgeschwader 77
- Awarded on:
- September 3rd, 1942
Awarded after 527 sorties.
- Photo 1: Willi Schumacher
- Photo: Willi Schumacher collection
- - OBERMAIER, ERNST, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe, Verlag Dieter Hoffmann, Mainz, 1976.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945