- Date of birth:
- March 27th, 1915 (Lothe/Lippe, Germany)
- Date of death:
- March 26th, 1942 (Russia, Soviet Union)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Hans Sumpf was killed when on March 26th, 1942, during an attack on Velikoye-Selo, his Junkers Ju 88 A-4 (V4+GN) exploded in mid air after being hit by bombs from another Ju 88.
April 1941: Leutnant;
December 18th, 1941: Oberleutnant;
June 22nd, 1943: Hauptmann (posthumously, as from March 1st, 1942).
1939: Kampfgeschwader 1;
January 1st, 1940: 8. Staffel, Kampfgeschwader 1;
December 18th, 1941: Staffelführer, 5. Staffel, Kampfgeschwader 1.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberleutnant (Flying Officer)
- Staffelführer, 5. Staffel, II. Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 1 "Hindenburg", Luftwaffe
- Awarded on:
- August 20th, 1942
Received for his successes as a bomber pilot primarily on the Eastern front, which included 319 sorties flown as well as the following materiel destroyed/damaged...
- 19 locomotives
- Approx. 140 rail cars
- 90 trucks
- 13 tanks
- 17 rail lines (severed)
- 1 transport ship of 6,000 GRT
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- URBANKE, AXEL & KAISER, JOCHEN, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger, Luftfahrtverlag-Start, 2011.
- deZeng IV, Henry L., Douglas G. Stankey, Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries, Section S-Z, April 1st, 2014