Achilles, Albrecht Adolf Konrad
- Date of birth:
- January 15th, 1914 (Karlsruhe/Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- September 27th, 1943 (near Salvador da Bahia, Brasil)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Albrecht Achilles began his naval career in April 1934. He then served on the school ship Schleswig-Holstein and on the battleship Gneisenau. After a year at the Marineschule Mürwik instructing future officers, he transferred to the U-boat force in April 1940.
After the usual training he made three patrols on U-66 under Korvkpt. Richard Zapp. He left the boat in November 1941 and in January 1942 took command of the IXC boat U-161. He operated mostly in the Caribbean, but also in Brazilian and African waters. In March 1942 he sank the US Coast Guard ship Acacia and in October of that year damaged the British light cruiser Phoebe (5,450 tons).
Albrecht Achilles died when U-161 was sunk with all 53 hands lost in September 1943 by a US Navy aircraft Catalina VP-74 / P-2, South Atlantic near Salvador da Bahia at 12° 30' s. Br., 35° w. L.
26th September 1934: Seekadett;
1st October 1934: Obermatrose;
1st January 1935: Oberstabsmatrose;
1st July 1935: Fähnrich zur See;
?: Oberfähnrich zur See;
16th April 1937: Leutnant zur See;
13th April 1939: Oberleutnant zur See;
14th August 1941: Kapitänleutnant;
5th April 1945: Korvettenkapitän (posthumous).
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Käpitanleutnant (Lieutenant)
- Kommandant U 161 / 2.Unterseebootsflottille
- Awarded on:
- January 16th, 1943
Awarded for sinking 11 ships (with 53817 GRT) and damaging a further 6 ships (with 41122 GRT) as commander of U-161. The latter total included the British cruiser HMS Phoebe.
- Photo: Wilco Vermeer
- - DIXON, JEREMY, The U-boat Commanders, Naval Institute Press, 2019.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Busch R., Röll H.J., Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe Sept. 1939 bis Mai 1945, Berlin, Bonn, Herford, Mittler, 2003
- Fellgiebel W.P., Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945, Friedberg, Podzun-Pallas, 1993
- Das Ritterkreuz.de
- U-boat net
- Deutsche Marinegeschichte
- Deutsche U-boote, 1935-1945
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht