The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- July 26th, 1917 (Salz-Montabaur/Hesse-Nassau, Germany)
- Date of death:
- February 11th, 2011 (Bad Neuenahr, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Hans Teusen finally reached the rank of Major during the Second World War. After the war he served from 16th February 1956 until 30th September 1977 with the Bundesweht and there finally reached the rank of Generalmajor.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Leutnant (2nd Lieutenant)
- Zugführer 6. / Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 2
- Awarded on:
- June 14th, 1941
Awarded for actions at the Corinth canal on 26.04.1941. After he and his platoon were dropped south of the canal they stormed into action and quickly eliminated an AA battery at the south end of the bridge. They were, however, unable to prevent the demolition of this bridge.
With this Teusen and the rest of his company (led by Hauptmann Schirmer), began their attack into Corinth. Teusen, with the help of two captured self-propelled AA guns, pushed into the city. There he met with Schirmer again and pressed on towards Tolos, taking enemy positions and destroying their rearguard. Teusen was wounded at this stage of the battle but remained with his troops. As the battle continued to go in the Germans' favour Teusen sent an English speaking Feldwebel to persuade the British to surrender. With a little bit of bluffing this attempt was successful, and Teusen's platoon accepted the surrender of 72 British officers and 1200 men.
- Photo 1: Willi Schumacher
- Photo: Willi Schumacher collection
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1986.
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945