- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Flight Lieutenant)
- Staffelkapitän, 1. Staffel, I. Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 4, Luftwaffe
- Awarded on:
- May 14th, 1942
Awarded for the sum of his successes as a bomber/transport pilot. They included the following…
- Attacking airfields, railway installations and bridges during the Polish campaign.
- Attacking troop concentrations in Norway and British warships off the Norwegian coast.
- Strikes against Dutch airfields and aerial resupply missions to German airborne troops at the Albert Canal, Dordrecht and the Hague.
- A number of mine-laying sorties against the mouths of major rivers in England.
- Conducting a lone raid against the Finningley airfield on the 10.02.1941, in which he scored direct hits on the airfield hangars and quarters.
- Sinking a gunboat on Lake Ladoga and mining the coast around Ösel and Dagö during Operation Barbarossa.
- Participating in several night raids against Moscow.
- Flying supply missions to the troops at Cholm.