- Date of birth:
- June 22nd, 1901 (Dieburg/Hesse, Germany)
- Date of death:
- March 3rd, 1959 (Schorndorf/Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
February 1st, 1943: Oberst (RDA: -83-).
September 1st, 1939: Chef, 14. Kompanie, Infanterie-Regiment 41;
January 26th, 1940: Kommandeur, III. Bataillon, Infanterie-Regiment 41;
September 9th, 1940: Kommandeur, III. Bataillon, Infanterie-Regiment 85;
October 5th, 1940: Kommandeur, III. Bataillon, Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 85;
April 16th, 1942: Kommandeur, Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 206.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur, III. Bataillon, Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 85, 5. Gebirgs-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- June 13th, 1941
The following wartime excerpt describes why Esch would be awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“Major Esch has fought at the head of his Bataillon while showing great devotion to duty. With this unit he captured the northern slope of the Istibei on the 06.04.1941, held it against heavy enemy counterattacks for 17 hours and then captured every single remaining enemy bunker on the whole mountain in bitter combat on the following day.”
According to a evaluation report, the awarding took place on June 22nd, 1941.
- - PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945.
- Vortragsnotiz, Ag P1 Chefgruppe, 2 Februar 1945.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002